Monday, March 1, 2010

Forge World PDF supplements

I've know about these for some time, but in light of the horrendous loss yesterday, they came back into my thoughts.


First off, they are defined as:

"Errata, Experimental and Optional rules for Warhammer 40,000."

Obviously, Forge World is in cahoots with Games Workshop, but these are not official rules and they are actually supposed to be used in conjunction with the actual Imperial Armor supplements, I personally don't see why these unit profiles couldn't just be used in conjunction with our own codices. But of course, we all have to give them the okay to be used. As you can see, there is actually at least something for most of us, rules for an Ork vehicle (though even Chris admitted that this was over powered), Tau Commander, as well as Imperial Armor Vol. 2 which has things for all Space Marine armies, including Grey Knights.

As mentioned above, here is Imperial Armor Vol. 2

I'm not going to lie, for me specifically, it would be beneficial, yet mostly in the realm of correcting point values and bringing them on par with the Wolves and the Codex Marines. If it does not specifically say "Choice for... Dark Angels", than it does not apply to me (for instance, some only say "Space Marine" which is referring to only Codex: Space Marine).

It also does add a few new toys (which include but are not limtied to, Whirlwind Hyperios, Damocles Rhino, Mortis Dreadnought - a dread which fluff-wise was actually invented by the DA yet not in their list) which could open up some new strats for at least Rob, Susmita (as DH) and myself.

EDIT - took out bit about drop pods. I was wrong about charging. Deep striking units can't.

The Damocles Rhino also has some nice rules for Deep striking/Reserve units. Note that it does not actually have transport capacity and it actually counts as an HQ - so it's use would be limited, especially in lower point games. And of course, rerolling scatter could always give you a worse outcome. Though should I always have to rely on bikes to get my Terminators in more safely? Even if they come in, they're sitting for a round, just shooting.

So there it is. The things I'm most interested in, are getting certain vechicles at comparable prices and some of the new vehicle variations.

Obviously, some of us get some more perks than others, but I'm looking at it from a outdated 2007 Codex perspective where as the Wolves, Orks and Nids all have shiny new ones. I'd totally understand if you guys say no, and even just resort to a case by case basis. Let me know your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. that's awesome you found this ed. but knowing the rest of the world (aka the people we play with), they may not be kosher with it. and i can foresee a lot of arguments already....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I did get Chris, one of our leaders in argument to say, "I do not mind at all."

    To be quite honest, I was just looking at cheaper - yet on par with other Space Marines - vehicles. Perhaps we can shy away from the new things, and just use the updated point costs for vehicles I already have. The point adjustments aren't much, they would be basically getting me an extra power weapon here or there.

    I did think Chris and Bill - especially Tau with their older dex - might be interested in those two new units. I thought Tau had limited characters, and that Shas'o r'myr might had some flavor - especially his preferred enemy, all of the Imperium of Man.

    I'd be more inclined to use these things that are in writing and presented from a reputable source rather than some home brewed concoction (no offense to Command Tautallica of course - If you ever want to test him Bill, I have no qualms).

    But whatever, I can always print them out, and have them on the side. Maybe even use them on a case by case basis.

    ReplyDelete